Shine on! Sterling Silver jewelry is very versatile and especially lovely when designed with Swarovski Crystals.
Sterling Silver tends to be a much softer metal when compared to the other precious metals and has a bright luster and brilliance.
Unfortunately, Sterling Silver jewelry is prone to oxidation and can be tarnished very easily.
Cleaning sterling silver jewelry need not be a difficult task.
You only need to take some preventive measures along with occasional polishing or dipping to keep your bling looking as good as new:
1. To avoid tarnishing of your sterling silver, keep your jewelry covered in a cloth enclosed in an airtight container. The idea is to avoid any contact of the metal with gas and salt present in air that can trigger the oxidation process which could cause your sterling silver jewelry to tarnish.
2. Keep your sterling silver and crystal jewelry away from wood and bright light or direct sun light to slow down the process of oxidation.
3. Avoid wearing sterling silver jewelry when you are in the pool as chemicals such as chlorine, ammonia and even alcohol can tarnish your silver quickly. To avoid discoloration, do not allow your sterling silver or crystals to come in contact with perfumes and scented lotions.
4. Once you remove your jewelry, clean it with a soft cloth to remove the oil and grime that would have stuck to it from the skin.
5. Use a soft cloth for cleaning sterling silver to avoid lint and scratches. Also, do not use the same cloth for cleaning sterling silver and gold jewelry as it can have a negative effect on the silver jewelry.
6. The kind of brush you choose for cleaning sterling silver jewelry is also very important. Baby tooth brushes, soft bristle brushes or sunshine cloth are your best bet.
7. Although ultrasonic cleaners can be useful in cleaning Sterling Silver, they should be avoided when cleaning crystals as they could potentially scratch or chip them.
8. Tarn-X tarnish remover is my personal favorite “Go to” when it comes to untarnishing silver. Important Note: DO NOT leave jewelry in solution for more than a few seconds *just a quick dip* as it will blacken your silver and ruin your crystals permanently. Simply dip jewelry into solution to the count of three seconds, immediately remove and rinse under cold water. Place on soft cloth, gently blot moisture and allow to air dry. Store as recommended above.
These are just a few general guidelines to consider when wearing your Beautiful Sterling Silver and Swarovski Crystal jewelry.